Using XRF to determine elemental compositions
The EDXRF device irradiates a sample (i.e. core, sidewall core, drill cutting) with energy dispersive x-ray fluorescence (EDXRF) causing each element in the sample to respond characteristically. The device’s inbuilt computer detects elements heavier than Sodium (Na).
This has potential as a stratigraphic tool, especially for:
- Poorly fossiliferous deposits of Triassic or older age
- Improving the resolution of thick homogenous sequences
- XRF can be used as an environmental proxy
- Non destructive analytic method
Advantages of XRF:
- Inexpensive, effective and quick to analyse
- Valuable when no logs exist (e.g. horizontal wells)
- Identification of faults in horizontal wells
- At wellsite or in onshore laboratory.